Tuesday, June 11

Super Summer Inspired post 1

The word "grace", I think, is often misunderstood. My attempt to wrap my head around it is feeble at best, and fails miserably at worst.

I heard this today and it kind of rattled me. . .but in a good way.
"I bring nothing to the table but the sin that made the death of Christ necessary" . .


. . .


. . .

Yeah.

As a girl whose love language is words of affirmation, this hits me in the gut. . .a tad.

I, Emilee -- stand alone, just me, outside the grace of Christ -- bring NOTHING GOOD to the table. I bring the wretched sin that nailed Jesus to an ugly cross. . . NOTHING good have I whereby his grace to claim.
Every time I sin, every time I choose me over Christ, over others, I am throwing rubbish in the face of the Most Holy God.

A God who chose to create me, who chose to redeem me, who chooses to love me -- deeply. relentlessly. unconditionally. extravagantly. tenderly. A God who likes me.
Me.
Obnoxious. Cranky. Selfish. Stubborn. Filthy.
Me.
One who refuses to live daily in the shadow of the cross.
One who wants to receive grace but not give it.
One who runs and rebels any chance she gets.
Me.

God pursues my heart when I run, and holds it steady when I'm close.


. . .that is grace. Grace that chooses ME over and over and over again when I bring NOTHING to the table but the sin that made the death of God's perfect, sinless Son necessary. And yet, here I am relentlessly pursued by an infinite grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Categories