I hate Halloween for several reasons. A minor reason being that I just got back from Target with my BFF and all the lights were out. No, they would turn the lights off and then turn them back on. And then turn them off again. It was irritating. That may or may not have anything to do with Halloween, it may have been just an electrical issue, but all the lights in the Halloween area were lighted up. But I digress.
I hate Halloween because
a) Ghosts, zombies and whatever else are fake. (For the record, I also hate commercial Christmas -- Santa Claus; and Easter -- the Easter bunny).
b) Costumes -- even for children -- are getting raunchy and skanky. I don't want to see boobs, butts or anything else that is personal to you.
c) We teach children not to take candy from strangers, yet encourage them to go door to door (or trunk to trunk) and take candy from "strangers". Not to mention that lots and lots of candy is not exactly a good choice at night. . .
I just, well, I just hate it. I think it is stupid and I will probably be the most uncool mom ever, and I don't really care.
Furthermore, even churches who do the "trunk-or-treat" thing as an outreach ministry, don't do it effectively!! How many families have come to CHURCH because of trunk-or-treat?? Our church had a BUNCH of kids last year and I'm not sure ONE family ever decided to come to church because of it. It's just another excuse to get people on your property to "count" the heads and report it whomever and pat yourselves on that back for another successful EVENT. What about the PEOPLE who come to you stupid EVENT? A parking lot full of candy, a bounce house and hot dogs does not translate into people's hearts and lives UNLESS they come back.
I should stop now.
Although, it is the Ancient Celtic "new year's eve". So, happy ancient Celtic New Year's Eve.
No comments:
Post a Comment